I was at a recent SEO meetup presented by DFWSEM where Rob Garner,Vice President, Strategy at iCrossing, covered search and social concepts and social signals on search. He explains that even social media, if properly strategized, can help in searchability. It’s pretty interesting that illustrates that SEO elements can also be applied to social media signals. Below are some notes that will better explain his perspective on a effective communication plan that will bring both relevancy and engagement. By the way, he came out with a book that you might want to add to your content marketing collection.
Manuell Castells and his Theory of Space of Flows
- Networks transcend communications ruled by the space of places which enable real-time communication access beyond global boundaries.
- Defines Real-Time Marketing: Marketer brings information to the customer.
Information can be propagated and disseminated quickly across the globe through networks.
If you have a site or any web presence, you’re a publisher.
Elements of Real – Time Marketing
- Organizational shifts from passive to real-time engagement
- Redefining of audience
- Redefinition of business practices
- Commitment to sincerity
- Reworking definition of social media to include search principles
- Redefinition of the publisher
- Commitment of marketer to be real-time publisher
- Real-time content marketing is not complete without deep strategy of search & social
Natural Language Connects Social & Searches
- Keywords are connections to people
- Language reflects the words, voice, tone & tastes of the audience.
- Used to find and connect with your audience through content and conversation.
- Live participation is optimization
- Recency is the new relevancy (Google uses QDF “Queries Deserve Freshness” to measure the constant use of a keyword)
Increased network size is an SEO tactic. Build up your networks, the greater the network, the greater your search sphere of influence.
How Search & Social Works?
- People are nodes, just like website are nodes
- Connections between people are measured just like connections between links
- Social profiles also have keyword influence, themes and authority.
- Natural language processing is critical to the social experience and infers intent and context, just like search.
Social Relevancy: An SEO View of Google +
- Domain authority= User ID
- Duplicate Content= +1 and shared content
- Links = Circles and Shares
- Quality of links = Quality of people who have circles you
- Inbound vs. Outbound = Ratio of circles in contrast to # of people circling you
- Anchor text links = Labeling of circles
Combining SEO and Social will definitely increase visibility.
Why Social Signals are important to search?
- Social, like links, is now a cornerstone of natural search algorithms
Share Graph: A New Social Link Graph
- Authority of network sharer
- Theme of user or related concepts of network user
- Depth of the network sharer’s network
Social Signals Reveal High Velocity Content & Interests
- Keyword search velocity = Google trends the rise and fall of keyword usage over time
- Sharing = Google + is tracking the speed of traffic by time stamping every click
Active Distribution & Passive Distribution Search engine performance deep network analysis
- Deep network analysis applies to social connection
- Search helps social marketers find their audience
- Search data provides market research and show your audience’s tastes
Search tools to utilize: Think with Google and Google Ad Planner for market research.
Search metrics reflect content performance.
Social networks are becoming more algorithmic.
Facebook partnered with Bing for more search functionality, they may actually buy Bing (rumor).
- The Ability to Post Content Easily on Your Website is a Must for 2013 (soshable.com)
- 14 Ideas To Utilize Custom Variables For Search & Social Tracking (searchengineland.com)
- Four simple actions that will help you get the most of Google+ (econsultancy.com)
- Five Mobile SEO Best Practices (koozai.com)
- SEO Bucket List: Top 8 Things to Accomplish before Your Business Gets Old (sazbean.com)
- Mediapost- Why Search Is A Strategic Component Of Social And Content Marketing (shanecrombie.com)
- Why You Need Content, Search, AND Social for Successful Online Marketing (iacquire.com)
- Social Media Monitoring (raventools.com)
- Did You Know? How to perform advanced searches in Social Monitor (raventools.com)